We’re not here to tell you that you HAVE to buy a diamond in order to get engaged. You don’t even HAVE to buy a ring at all, if you don’t want to. Getting engaged and married is a deeply personal decision, and the way you go about it should be the deepest reflection of who you are as a couple.
We do want to honestly unpack why diamonds are so popular for engagement rings.
So, what’s so special about diamonds?
- They’re really old. Most diamonds are more than a billion years old, according to Smithsonian.com. The nerd in us likes this because it’s just plain cool and awe-inspiring, and the romantic in us likes it because it’s symbolic: this thing represents the type of love that lasts forever, through thick and thin. And just like your relationship, each diamond is truly unique. No two diamonds are exactly alike.
- They’re tough and hard to damage, which is important for something you (or your partner) are going to wear almost every day for the rest of your life. They are the most durable of natural gemstones, scoring 9/10 on the Mohs hardness scale.
- They’re beautiful. Diamonds, specifically round shaped diamonds, sparkle more than any other natural gemstone when cut and polished by a master craftsman. “Other natural gemstones disperse white light to some degree, but none comes close to diamond’s ability to reveal the rainbow,” says an article on NOVA. Lots of people love the gorgeous hues of sapphires, rubies and other colored gems, and there are some great options for gemstone engagement rings on the market. But if you really crave sparkle and brilliance above all else, the diamond outshines them all.
- They carry cultural weight. Like it or not, we have a huge host of cultural associations around diamond engagement rings. People have been using them to mark their relationship status since 1477, and icons ranging from Elizabeth Taylor to Beyonce have ensured that diamonds are top of mind when people think about popping the question. We tend to associate diamonds with success, status, and, yes, being in a committed relationship. So, you’re definitely gonna look boss when you wear a beautiful sparkler, and chances are you’re gonna feel boss, too.
- They’re quality-controlled in a way other gemstones are not. GIA and AGS certification tell you the precise details of a diamond’s quality, and therefore make sure you get the quality you’re promised for the price you’re paying. Sidenote: All Ritani diamonds are ethically sourced, certified, and come with a price match guarantee.
So that’s our take: If you want to celebrate your engagement with some beautiful bling, diamonds are a great way to do it. Ready to get started?
Want to geek out on more diamond FAQs? Read about natural diamonds versus lab grown diamonds.