Guest post by Hilary Kennedy, lifestyle blogger and TV host at HilaryKennedy.com
Winter is one of the most beautiful times of year to get married…the twinkling lights, the magical winter white landscape, and the beautiful accessory options! Though I got married in May, I have often dreamed of what it would have been like to have my wedding set against a backdrop of glistening snow and holly berries. Since that ship has sailed, I get my fix by reveling in the winter weddings of my friends and family. But, while spring and summer weddings are easy to dress for, winter weddings present more of a challenge. Here are a few tips to make it just as whimsical and fun as those outdoor soirees from warmer seasons:
- Elegant layers. You know that pretty cashmere cape you bought but hardly ever wear because your go-to is your heavy winter coat? Wear it to a wedding! Capes and long leather gloves can be beautiful accessories easily removed once inside the wedding venue. A gorgeous faux fur wrap is also a fun choice to throw over your wedding guest attire. If the wedding is a more casual affair, consider a chic winter scarf in a pretty pattern draped around you and secured with a gorgeous brooch. I have a few antique brooches of my grandmother’s that I like to use.
- Closed-toed heels keep feet warm(er) and still look dressy. Why torture your toes with the cold? A sophisticated pointy toe stiletto or rounded blocked heel is lovely. And yes, tights are perfectly fine for a winter wedding, just be sure if you decide to wear them with open-toed shoes so that the seam doesn’t show.
- Winter dresses are traditionally in darker shades like wine, eggplant, black, crimson, hunter green and silver. The best way to make those colors pop is with beautiful fine jewelry! (And YES-you can totally wear black to a winter wedding.) A sparkling yellow gold or white gold against those colors are stunning. My go-to site for fine jewelry is Ritani, because they have affordable, ethical diamonds and you can design your pieces or work with one of their REAL experts (not a bot!) to pick something perfect. I even did a Skype session to discuss what I’m looking for with one of their experts, and it was like going through a diamond master class! I think this True North Diamond Pendant necklace or Linked Triangle Diamond Necklace would be perfect against a simple velvet or satin dress. And if statement earrings are called for, these Round and Baguette Diamond earrings are total fire!
- Winter accessories! This is a time to bust out the shiny patent clutches, quilted bags, or velvet purse. Even if you opt for a plain black dress, the handbag and jewelry can be the things that “make” the outfit. Or, why not try a velvet and pearl headband? This one by Lele Sadoughi has been blowing up Instagram this year.
- Long sleeves ARE elegant. Don’t feel as if you have to wear a dress that shows a lot of skin in order to look elegant. A beautiful dress with long sleeves in a rich fabric like velvet, silk, or cashmere is very sexy! You can wear a lower neckline and show off your collarbone with a necklace in an eye-catching design, like this rose gold Fleur De Lis.
Winter weddings give you lots of options to look beautiful, so I hope these tips give you some ideas on how to dress for the occasion!
Use code HILARY15 to take 15% off jewelry!